Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tagaytay Philippines

Tagaytay Island

So a couple of weekends ago (I am a little behind, I apologize:)) I went with Swetal's in-laws to Tagaytay. Tagaytay is about 2 hours from Manila (so thus far it is the farthest I have ventured outside of Manila!) From the Philippine Tourism website,
"Tagaytay, considered as the country's second summer capital because of its crisp and cool climate all year around, is a treasure box of pleasure points in by itself. At nightfall, one sees the lake sparkle with the pinpoint lights of fishing boats. It is a perfect picnic spot. Within Tagaytay there is a small volcano called Taal Volcano. "It is reputed to be the world's smallest and yet most active. It stands on its own island amid a landscape of ash and cinder.
As the volcano is on an island in the middle of a lake, there has cropped up quite a tourist industry from ferreting tourists across the lake to the volcano. Thus upon arrival, boat ferreter after boat ferreter came up to our car trying to get us to be the lovely tourists they ferreted across to the volcano. Kindly, Balki (Swetal's husband) had arranged for a safe, reasonably priced company to "take" us across the lake waters. Unfortunately, a little poor planning on our part had us arriving to cross the lake and climb the hill in the heat of the day (and that day it was at least 90 degrees with probably almost 95% humidity!!). So, the operator of the company, kindly and wisely advised us to wait an hour or so before crossing. In the mean time we ate lunch and enjoyed the shade:)
"Beach"

So, once we finally got across the lake to the other side, we were greeted by many locals. (side note: Since the island holds an small, yet active, volcano the government will not in anyway support those who choose to live on the island. I am not sure what the exact rationale is, but my guess, is that they don't want to be held responsible for anyone who is injured in the event of an volcano eruption. Though the island does not have electricity, there are about 1000 inhabitants, a primary school, many houses, basketball court, stores etc..)
Gentleman and Horse


If you look at the rest of the photos on the photo link, you can see more of the amenities on the island. We than were taken to the horse "loading" area, where those who chose to ride a horse up the hill (about 4 km's at least this is what they told me, I really don't think it was that far, I think they were exaggerating a little to try and make me think I needed a horse!). Balki's in-laws got on the horses and I followed taking photos. (Though, behind me for a quarter of the journey up was a man on a horse, who kept asking if I was "alright" or if I would like to get on the horse. I jokingly asked him what her would ride then?) We got to the top and this is what we saw. Doesn't quite look like the volcanoes I have seen previously. As was pointed out to us, there was a "little" smoke rising from the lake. So, little that I really don't think my camera was able to pick it up:) See if you can see it!!

Taal Volcano

After our lovely volcano sight seeing, we headed down and went back to shore to enjoy a very nice tea at one of the many restaurants along the shore of the lake with the volcano in the middle of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip, I love the last photo in this group :) So nice...